Sunday, August 30, 2015

Eat With Me - 2014

Eat With Me - 2014 (US)




I have a soft spot for gay movies and men from Asia so I watched this one. 
The movie is nice and it tries to deliver situation like divorce, coming out, family life for a Chinese group of people/family. 
It seems to me a bit unreal and not very deep, but I liked the rhythm of the movie and the showing of old dynamic breaking up and transform. 
There are a lot of references to food and this is something I personally love in a movie, but the whole structure is a bit weak in my opinion. I think the director wanted to show too many things and this went against the deep approach on the characters’ psychology. 
Some situation seem too easy or shallow like the restaurant that is behind the payments and gets almost closed and the only new idea is provide dumplings. Or that the food of the restaurant is so bad that just few customers are coming. I'm expecting that if you know that (and every other character tells the main one that his food sucks) you do something to change it. Or the fact that the main character comes out to his mom leaving magazines on the ottoman in the living room. It's not clear if he makes this on purpose, as I think it's the correct interpretation of it, or if he's just lazy in every part of his life. 
Very nice the interactions between the mom and the neighbour. That is the part I liked more together with the cameo of George Takei that is powerful.

I just noticed that this was a crowd-funding project. I appreciate this. 

My vote 3 out of 5 

No comments:

Post a Comment